Monday, May 24, 2010

2012

According to some people, the world will end in just over two years. Two years and everything we know, every person we've loved, the very evidence of our existence will be gone.

I am not one of those people.

The whole 2012 concept seems to be bogus. Just a bunch of hype and I refuse to believe it. Is it impossible? No, nothing is impossible, just like it's not impossible that Jesus was the son of God, Muhammad was a messenger/prophet, or that Buddha is holy. It takes just as much faith to believe in 2012 as it does to believe in anything else not solidly founded in science. My lack of belief has nothing to do with faith or science. Honestly, it's just selfishness.

Yesterday  went on a bike ride and I saw a lot of people, but two things stood out to me. An old couple holding hands, and all the families with children. I saw the old couple and I wondered if they knew when they first met that they'd be spending the rest of their lives together (of course that's making the assumption they met when they were young). I want to have that with someone. I want to be that old couple walking by the water holding hands. I want that, yet I know I won't have it before 2012, I'll only be 25 when the predicted end of the world happens. That's nowhere near old enough to really appreciate the time I've been with someone like that old couple does. And while that's enough time to have a kid and raise it for a couple of years, it's not enough time to have a family. I want a family. I want to be able to teach my kids about life and watch as they ignore my warnings. I want to lay next to my wife and tell her I love her every night and every morning. I know I'm not the only one who wants all that, there are millions if not billions of other people on this earth looking for the same thing. Not only do I want it, but I believe I'll have it some day. Someday after 2012. The thought that I could miss out on so much of life really scares me. It's that fear that drives me to believe the 2012 theory is nothing but hype. And if it isn't all hype, and the world does end in 2012, well... guess it'll be too late to care if I was right or wrong then.  

1 comment:

  1. Amen to this. even believing ur destined for heaven doesn't fully absolve the doubt and fear of that

    ReplyDelete