Friday, February 5, 2010

Already?

A couple of weeks ago, I was having a conversation with my friend about relationships. Somehow I brought up the point that people don't know how to really begin new relationships. We have the tendency to want to start new relationships from the same point our old ones ended. Thus giving our new interest the same "benefits" that the old interest had, without the new interest putting in the time. It's comparable to a first year prof getting the same pay and benefits as a tenured professor, it doesn't make sense. We don't see it like that though, we want to maintain that same feeling of comfort and even security that we had in the previous relationship.


Another analogy (and probably my favorite one) was thinking of potential interest as books. You may be excited when you get a new book, and you want to just hurry up and skip a few chapters to the "exciting part" but you can't, it doesn't make sense to. Skipping chapters leaves you with an incomplete perception of the events leading up to it and what it took to get there. The same goes with relationships. If you just start a relationship right where the last one left off, neither of you have a real sense of value for the relationship. We went on for a while with that analogy, but for this post, I'll just stop there.

Recently I just got out of a relationship, or finished a book if you will. My reason for leaving the relationship was based solely on aspects inside that relationship. Meaning I didn't like anyone else, nor was I influenced by any thing or person outside of the relationship. The weird thing is, not even a week after the break up, I've already stumbled upon a new book that I'm very interested in reading. You never really plan on finding an interest but I really didn't think it would be so soon. Honestly I feel a little guilty, but such is life. The hardest part of the whole thing, since I am very recently out of a relationship, is starting all over again. I'm determined not to rush into anything though, despite my old habits and what I'm used to. If I want different results, I have to approach things differently right? Well that's the plan right now. Just taking things day by day. Page by page :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment