Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pretty Wings

Jobs, school, and girls those have probably been the most stressful aspects of my life lately. I don't get stressed much at all for the most part, but one big stressor (getting a job) put a few chinks in my armor. Fortunately, things may be turning around :-)


Jobs:
I need one. It's as simple as that. Last semester I was an RA here on campus, meaning my housing and dining were paid for, and I got a paycheck every two weeks. Someone told me I was the R.A. That I was the poster child for Housing and Residence Life. Funny how things change. This semester I'm unemployed and living off campus. Meaning I have to pay rent, and pay for food with no income right now. It's ridiculous, but somehow it's gonna work out. I just find it funny when I'm always being asked to go out, despite not having a job. People don't seem to take that into account. Of course that's partially to be expected in the egocentric society we live in. Anyway, with great need comes great opportunity. I have interviewed for two jobs this week, and have another interview tomorrow. Tomorrow is the BIG interview. I'm talk Apple Inc. big. I'm talking $15 and hour big. I'm talking big enough for me not to feel like I have to skip meals and be a cheapskate big. I want this job SO bad. It'll be incredible, and I'd be able live comfortably for a while. I know the other guy who's a rep already. He's pretty cool, we lived in the same residence hall freshman year. I asked him about the interview process, and he gave me a few tips, so hopefully I'll have a bit of a leg up on the competition.

School
I don't study well at all. I know this. The time has come for me to start applying myself. I'm so tired of mediocre grades. I want to be proud of my GPA. Most of all, I want to get into grad school, and I want to actually know the subjects I'm studying. I don't want to just regurgitate lines from a book. I want to know this stuff. My school is really big on immersive learning, but there's no program for Psych majors. It'd be really cool if they did. I learn so much better when I'm hands on, and get to experience the subject matter instead of just read about it. Oh well though. The most important thing is that I change my study habits for now, since that's the only thing I can really control. Also on the school front is the debate team. I still don't have a debate partner, so I may have to fly solo for the first tournament. Going solo kinda excites me. I've never done it before, but I had the chance to once. That was quickly taken away when my partner showed up at the last second though. I'm really just happy to have my case finished. I need to do some editing, but the hardest part is done. We'll see how it all works out.

Girls

"If I can't have you/Let love set you/Free to fly your pretty wings around"

I had to let her go. I knew I wasn't right for her. I didn't love her enough to continue whatever relationship we had. She's a good girl, and I don't have any bad feelings towards her. It just doesn't make sense to prolong the inevitable. The "break up" wasn't too bad though, and we've kept in touch. My biggest fear was that I'd loose a friend, fortunately, that didn't happen.

That's the stress of my life lately. Nothing I can't handle :-) Hopefully things get interesting (in a positive way) soon. I see potential ahead. Let's hope it's met!

No comments:

Post a Comment